Will you allow industry practices to be deployed in Britain & Ireland that will pollute air, waste vast quantities of water, cause constant noise pollution, over-stress our roads, industrialise our countryside, devalue our homes and could irreversibly contaminate our water supplies?
Will you accept a financial bribe from this government in exchange for your health and that of your children?
What is fracking?
How will it affect you?
What can I do?
Hydraulic fracturing or 'Fracking' refers to the procedure of creating fractures in rock formations by drilling and then injecting a mixture of water, sand and highly toxic chemicals into cracks at high pressure to force them further open and release the gas.
Many cases of water, air and land contamination are being recorded in the US, Australia and Poland where Fracking has gone into full commercial production. We are at a critical point in UK where we face the same fate...
About 32,000 square miles of Britain are believed to have potential for shale development, with the biggest concentrations of wells expected to be in Lancashire and the Sussex Weald.
Balcombe in Sussex and Barton Moss near Manchester have recently become the front line in the fight against Fracking. People, from all walks of life, are coming together, with raised awareness of the dangers of Fracking, to take a stand against profit hungry oil and gas companies.
We need you. We need your support, your knowledge and your talents to help stop this horrific ecocide taking place. This site aims to provide guidance on what you can do locally and nationally.
The first step is awareness. Read the articles, watch the videos and do your own research! Then tell other people about it. If you care for your health, your country and future generations, NOW is the time for action!
Four Lessons From the U.S. for Countries About to be Fracked:
1. Fracking Companies have Systematically Run Over Communities in the U.S.
2. Fracking Contaminates Water and Water Wells and Can Suck Entire Towns Dry.
3. In Spite of Industry Claims, They Can’t Predict Exactly What Will Happen Underground During Fracking.
4. Fracking Leaks Methane and Other Dangerous Chemicals Into the Atmosphere at Alarming Rates.
DO ONE THING NOW!
JULY 2014 URGENT ACTION:
In 2015, the Magna Carta is 800 years old. The Magna Carta is the FOUNDATION OF LIBERTY. The government wants to change the law to facilitate fracking and our RIGHTS to stop firms from drilling under our homes will be stripped away from us.
Ask MPs to stop companies fracking under our homes without permission http://www.foe.co.uk/act/ask-mps-stop-companies-fracking-under-homes-without-permission
Then OBJECT here: https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/underground-drilling-access
United in demanding that our Islands stay Frack Free...
August 3, 2012
Across England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland there is a plan - by those with very short term self-serving vision and barely vestigial intelligence - to implement extreme energy procurement technologies that threaten us all.
These practices are symptoms and tools of a desperate and depraved addiction. Nobody on these Islands is immune to the devastating effects of the obscene, quick-fix lust of these ecocidal fossil fools.
There's a growing list of British and Irish regional and national anti-fracking/frack free Groups/Sites at the bottom of this Note. Please share it folks.
NB/ For those wondering why so many of the links are about the US and Australia .. it's because they are already steeped in the nightmare of hydraulic fracturing. They are years ahead of us in implementing the practice .. and in living - and dying - with its already horrendous legacy. It is a bitter hindsight, of which we must take acute heed, lest the same irrevocable human and ecological disasters begin to happen on our islands.
Hydraulic fracturing for shale oil/gas and coal bed methane is an ECOCIDALLY irresponsible and utterly ineffectual approach to meeting our critical energy needs.
- Fracking contaminates groundwater, soil and air alike ... With carcinogens and other toxins injected at high pressure into the ground; with released radioactive isotopes that were previously safely locked in the subterannean geology; with leaked methane and with other air pollutants from the flaring.
- The US Army Corps of Engineers responsible for flood defences, will not allow high volume slickwater hydraulic fracturing to take place within 3,000 feet of their infrastructure ... what does that tell us about the seismic and subsidence risks?
- A single frack uses 3 million gallons of fresh water. One frack site will use 330,000 Olympic sized swimming pools worth. Where will it come from exactly? How and where will they dispose of the toxic, radioactive fracking fluid that comes back up? .. that which hasn't already leaked into our aquifers, our reservoirs, our Loughs/Lochs and our rivers that is.
- Despite what the fossil fools try to convince us of - when fugitive emissions (escaped/leaked methane) and the vast weight of heavy tanker traffic are taken into account, FRACKING HAS A HIGHER CARBON FOOTPRINT THAN COAL.
- Our legislators - from Local Councils to National Government - must be made to wake up and realise that they make a huge mistake when they patronisingly obfuscate and turn a blind eye to the irreversible dangers of this practice.
If they do not say NO to Cuadrilla, UK Methane, IGas, Dart Energy, Celtique, Tamboran, Coastal Oil & Gas, Magellan Petroleum, Northdown Energy et al., - and decide instead to invest in safe, renewable sources of energy, that will give real energy security and lasting employment - then we will be in dire collective trouble.
If those empowered to legislate for us continue to give these international fossil fool corporations license to frack our lands and pollute our air, soil and groundwater - for nothing more than their own short term financial gain - they will be sanctioning, in many instances, the crime of Ecocide.
That would be both a historical and personal legacy that no Councillor, Minister or politician of conscience or sanity ought countenance.